Tuesday, July 1, 2008

NY Post: Shanahan to the Devils?


The NYPost's Larry Brooks is reporting that NY Rangers winger Brendan Shanahan may sign across the Hudson with the NJ Devils.

Brooks writes:
Rather, The Post has been told to expect the 39-year-old winger to go home again - home to New Jersey to complete the circle of his first-ballot worthy Hall of Fame career that commenced with the Devils in 1987-88.

Usually I take anything Larry Brooks writes with a shaker of salt so I'm wasn't getting my hopes up too high. I think Brooks has a good eye for the game, but is not as reliable when it comes to the business side of hockey.

To verify, I just spoke to a friend close to Shanahan and he told me only that Brendan's intentions were to stay in NY and he had not ruled out NJ as an option.

While there's no indication Shanahan has been leaving unsolicited voice mails on Lou's cell, it is a promising sign that a once sour relationship can be rectified.

I'd love to see Shanny return to the Devils. He's coming off a year that was ruined by injury and the failure to treat them properly. Now healed, Shanahan can still be a contributor on the ice as well as a mentor. Hey, just look what he did with Sean Avery. Imagine how he can help younger guys on this side of the River Sanity.

The guys already done so much for the organization (see: Scott Stevens) it would be wonderful to see him come back and show once again that he still has some gas left in the tank.

UPDATE: Debunked

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/rangers/2008/07/sather-rangers-making-waves-du.html

Shanahan:
“The Devils weren’t one of the teams that contacted my agent today. I guess people just figured that I’d want to go there because I wouldn’t want to move my family. But I want to play for the Rangers.”


One wonders where Larry Brooks finds his sources.

No comments: